Thursday, September 24, 2009

Venting

The public school system in California has given me so many ups and downs that I feel like a ping pong ball. I went from being pink slipped in San Jacinto because of budget cuts. So we were thinking we were going to lose our house because of our income. Then finding a job at the last minute in Riverside. Then deciding that we would be able to hold on to our house. Then finding out a few weeks later that I had an even better opportunity at the same school site. Then getting pink slipped again last year in Riverside. Then thinking that we were going to lose our house again because of our income. Then deciding to just give up and walk away from our house because they lender wouldn't modify our loan. Then getting my job back in Riverside. Then finding a new house because I had a job again and we could afford it again. Now this.

Apparently, enrollment is down at our site and has increased at other sites. One teacher has to go to a different school. Our principal has asked for somebody to do a volunteer transfer, but because they won’t tell us the new school site or grade level, nobody volunteered. Can you blame them? So it goes down to seniority. Lisa, Linda, and I all have the same hire date, so basically they are going to decide between the three of us.

I cannot believe this can be happening. I mean, I just finally got all of my boxes unpacked again about a month ago, and now I may have to pack them back up again just to set up in a new classroom in a new school? It’s like the first day of school all over again, except it will be October! And in all this unpacking, repacking, and unpacking again of my classroom stuff, I am trying to pack up our house to prepare for our move! I’m trying to be positive and think, “At least I still have a job.” But I’m finding it very difficult to stay positive with everything that is going on right now. I need a cocktail! Oh wait, I can't have one.

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing!!!! Ryan and I were both freaking out last year, because we thought we were going to get RIFed. I'm sure all teachers can relate! Instead of laying off or transferring all the young, motivated teachers, they need to get rid of tenure and fire all the older, lazy teachers who SUCK and do the BARE MINIMUM to get by...

    Things will work out- you are in our thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete