Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Me-Time for Mommys

My twin mama friend Amber talks a lot on her blog Mommy's Me Time about carving out time for yourself in order to be a better mom.  Somewhere along the way I have lost this mentality. I understand the concept, but sometimes I get so busy caring for the little people in this house (and other things that need to be done around here) that I put off doing things for me, or even taking care of myself for that matter. Thoughts like "I'll find time to sit down and eat once the kids are asleep" or "If everybody actually sleeps well all night tonight we'll go for a run in the morning" or "if I get all the housework taken care of tonight I'll sit for a few minutes tonight and watch some TV or blog" happen, and before I realize it, it's the following day and none of those other "things" I wanted to do ever end up getting done. And they never will, because I will always find something that needs to be done around here.

It wasn't until I had a scare today that I realized how much I was putting myself last on the list. I think it's just something we as moms do. I won't go into too many details, but I will say that the most I ate over the course of almost two days was a donut, a few slices of cheese, and a crap-ton of coffee. That's it. And my body decided to punish me for it.

I've decided that in order to be a good mom, I need to start taking better care of myself. Now. I am committing to find more time for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment