Monday, July 26, 2010

Taking a Break from Baby

I'm a little irritated with some of the comments that I've heard that have been coming from the peanut gallery.

Let me get one thing straight. Tony and I waited a long time to have kids. We have been together for 8 years and have been married for 3. We didn't want to have kids just to leave them behind. We decided that we wanted to wait until we were ready to include them in everything we do. We didn't understand the point of having a baby, then leaving them to do other things. When you have a baby, your life is changed forever. We realized that, which is why we waited. We waited until we were ready to include our baby with everything we do, whether that be river trips, or birthday parties, lunches, dinners, bunco, whatever it may be. If you have an issue with my baby coming along with me, then don't get pissy when I decide not to come. And keep your comments to yourself. Sure, I've hosted adult-only events before, but when the people that have kids declined to attend, I understood. That was their choice when they decided to have kids.

I'm sorry that I want to include my child in everything I do, that was something that was decided when we had a child. I'm sorry that I don't feel the need to take a "break" from him and run off to do other things. He will be included in my plans, and if he's not, then don't expect me to be there. Our days of bar-hopping are over. We are both almost 30 years old and have both done our share of partying. I no longer understand the point of going and sitting in a bar getting trashed off of expensive drinks in a room full of young 20-somethings. I can hang out with friends in their home or our home just as easily. In fact, I would rather do that then spend all night in bars.

Looking back, I guess I'm not angry that these people are talking. Really, I feel more sad for them than anything. These people that don't have kids because they're not married, or these people that leave their kids often because they just can't handle them or just don't want to deal with them. Yes, I feel sorry for them. My baby is my priority.

8 comments:

  1. Well Said!!! Welcome to being an adult ;) ....too bad for those still reliving their early 20's :( Their loss, not yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww sorry that is happening to you love! :( Some people just dont get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Amy!!! I knew you were going to be a great mommy!! Thats how it should be putting Braysen first!!! Hopefully someday when and if these people have their own babies maybe they will understand what it would be like to be a mom and not want to leave their baby. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to leave him!!! About the partying. Your right you are almost 30. You and Tony have had your days of partying you now have a family and life has changed for the two of you! It's just to bad some people just don't understand!!! But like I said maybe someday they will!!! I love you and your a great mom and you don't need to be out in bars or clubs when you have a baby at home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Brooke, not Ryan...LOL Although I am not a mother, I absolutely understand what you are saying and agree 100%. There are WAY too many people out there that have children and do NOT make them the priority. That is part of the reason why our world is so messed up. If you don't want to have kids, that is a personal decision, but if a couple decides to bring a child into this world, they need to accept responsibility. Parenting is a full-time job, not something you do when it is convienient for you and your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i give you two thumbs up for everything you have said..i personally didn't wait till Chris and i were married or even really ready for babies but you know what i stopped the party life real fast when we found out we were pregnant and having babies...they become your life and if people cant understand that then there is something really wrong with them...and they need to rethink themselves...i know exactly how you feel i have lost some friends because they just don't seem to care or really understand what it is to be a mother but just not any mother a good one...but in the end im happy and those people i lost really weren't friends to begin with..so you just keep being the great mom that im sure you are and leave all the HATERS lol in the dark..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I don't have kids yet, but I 100% COMPLETELY agree with you. We want to wait to have kids for the same reasons you guys did. If people can't understand why you bring your son with you to events, then they aren't really friends. Braysen is a lucky guy to have such great parents.

    By the way, great job on losing the 4.5 pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy I'm so proud of you and Tony for what awesome parents you are to little Braysen. It's really nice to see a young couple that does feel take parenting so seriously. Keep up the great work and if anyone doesn't understand, then maybe they aren't your true friends and are only in it for the party. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! well as you can guess i agree with everyone else. Yes i still like to have my "days of intoxication" but its very rare these days. Me not having kids i get my fair share of harassment when im NOT drinking and to be honest get treated diffrently (from people you actually thought were youre friends) to me its people losses for not growing up with you - i know i will be the same way when me and jd have kids - Bring on the haters!! that means were doing something RIGHT! xoxox (ps dont hate me for taking jello shots w you the other weekend lol)(in all fairness it was mutal)

    ReplyDelete