Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cricut Love!

I just realized that I never gushed about my Cricut. I had been going back and forth for several months about whether or not I should buy the Cricut Cake. It was really expensive and I wasn't sure if it would even work on my homemade fondant. I read lots of reviews about people raving about what it can do with the highly over priced Cricut frosting sheets, and lots of bad reviews about people complaining it didn't do well with homemade fondant.

I decided a long time ago (about the time Braysen was born) that Braysen's 1st birthday would be pirate-themed. I was having a hard time with the decor. A lot of the pirate stuff for little kids was very babyish (I know, he IS a baby, but if you've seen the way I dress him or the way I decorated his nursery, you will know, I'm not really into the babyish stuff). So the kid stuff was too babyish and the adult pirate stuff had scary-looking skulls. I decided a lot of his decor would need to be made, so I started on my huge to-do list of party decor in January. It was about this time that I decided a Cricut would be wonderful to have, because my cutting skills are not the greatest.

So there was my dilemma. I wanted BOTH the Cricut Cake and the regular Cricut. I obviously can't afford both if I don't want to shell out the money on ONE of them! That night I posted something about wanting a Cricut on Facebook, and magically, Valerie text messaged me less than a hour later saying she had just gotten home from buying a Cricut. She scored a great deal on  it and she also told me I could borrow it at any time.

I waited about a week and then decided I needed one too! I did a lot of research, and as it turns out, the cartridges are interchangeable, so I can use any of the regular Cricut cartridges in the Cricut Cake. I also found out that I can cut paper with the Cricut Cake, as long as I change out the blade and the mat. It was decided. The machine was 50% off and I still had my Christmas money that I hadn't spent a dime of yet. So I bought it. And I am so glad I did!

I have been putting it to use to make a few gifts and a lot of stuff for Braysen's birthday party. There is one banner that I made without the Cricut, but if you are coming to his party, please don't point out which one it is, it will be very obvious with my less-than-fab cutting skills.

It took a lot of practice and trial and error to get it to cut my homemade fondant without snagging it. But I think I've figured it out, and I know I will get better every time I use it. I used the Cricut Cake to cut out the lettering and the hearts for Zoe & Mia's Hugs and Kisses Birthday Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment