Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tip-a-Teacher

On Wednesday night, our school participated in Tip-a-Teacher at Applebee's in Moreno Valley. The teachers shadowed servers for the night. I swore I would never end up working in a restaurant again once I got my teaching credential, but for the good of our students I decided to do it. :) We were raising money so that our students could have some type of a fun assembly or a field trip, because the districts don't really have the money to provide them anymore, and most of the students at our school cannot afford to pay their own way on a field trip.


So they set each of us up with one of the servers. Somehow, I ended up in the bar cocktailing. Seriously? Who put the pregnant girl in the bar?! It ended up being a lot of fun and we were able to raise a good deal of money for our school. It is amazing to me how much more generous people are when they are giving to the students. I think I made more money that four hour shift that I worked than I did any night in the three years that I was a server! I had one man who tipped me a hundred bucks! It was great to hear people say how much teachers are appreciated. In our profession, we don't hear that very often. It was also really great to see how generous people could be, even with the economy the way it is right now.

On a side note, that was the first night that I received a stranger comment about being pregnant. I had three different groups of people comment on my visibly pregnant stomach. So my belly officially looks like a baby bump and not a beer belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment